Found out more about the partners in the LVM-BIOcells project and their specific roles.


Project Coordinator

Dirk Neesen

Environmental coordinator

Tel.: +32 13 612300
Fax: +32 13 668406


Heilig Hartlaan 21
B-3980 Tessenderlo (Belgium)


The project takes place at the former site of the Limburgse Vinyl Maatschappij (LVM) in Tessenderlo, Belgium.

The Limburgse Vinyl Maatschappij NV (LVM) was founded in 1969 as a joint venture between Tessenderlo Chemie and DSM. Until 31/07/11 LVM was a subsidiary of Tessenderlo Group, an international chemicals group employing over 8,100 people at more than 100 sites in 20 countries worldwide. On 1 August 2011 LVM was taken over by INEOS and the company changed to INEOS ChlorVinyls Belgium. On 1 July 2015 the site was acquired by ICIG (International Chemical Investors Group) and became part of VYNOVA.

VYNOVA Belgium produces monovinylchloride (MVC), a raw material used for the production of the plastic polyvinylchloride (PVC), one of the most important plastics of our time.

The activities in Tessenderlo started in 1972 with a first production line. With the commissioning of the second production line in 1976, the production capacity was increased to a yearly production capacity of 550,000 tonnes MVC. The intermediate in the production process is 12DCA (12 dichloroethane).

VYNOVA Belgium is a member of the European Council of Vinyl Manufacturers (ECVM), a division of Plastics Europe (European association of polymer producers). Plastics Europe is in turn part of the European Chemical Industry Council (CEFIC) and also maintains close contacts with Euro Chlor, the association of European chlorine manufacturers.

RSK Benelux bvba / ESA bvba

Lars Van Passel

Senior Project Manager RSK Benelux
Tel.: +32 3 4519301
Fax: +32 3 4519300


Businesscentrum Rivium
Antwerpsesteenweg 45
2830 Willebroek

RSK Benelux bvba is part of the RSK Group. The headquarters of the RSK Group are located in the UK. RSK Group integrates environmental, health, safety and engineering services and employs over 700 people in Europe and Russia. RSK Group has a yearly turnover of 74 million € and is one of the top 10 environmental companies in the world.

RSK Benelux bvba is the Benelux department of the group and has several offices in Belgium and The Netherlands. RSK Benelux bvba employs 32 people. 97% of the turnover of RSK Benelux is related to soil and groundwater contaminations, the other 3% is related to due diligences and compliance audits. In Belgium, RSK Benelux bvba is certified as a remediation specialist by the Flemish, Brussels and Walloon region. We specialize in providing innovative solutions for complex soil and groundwater contamination problems for our clients. In the past years, pilot testing and implementation of remediation activities have been executed for various clients in the chemical, petrochemical, automotive and other industrial sectors.

RSK has ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certification for quality, environmental management and health and safety.

ESA bvba was founded in 2001 and is specialised in the Biological remediation of Chlorinated Aliphatic Hydrocarbons (CAH’s). ESA was already an Associated Beneficiary partner in an other LIFE-project.


Harmien Verstraete

Project Engineer Avecom

Tel.: +32 9 3751714

Industriepark Wondelgem
Haven 9000
Industrieweg 122 P
9032 Wondelgem (Gent, Belgium)

AVECOM NV was founded in 1995 as a spin-off of the Laboratory of Microbial Ecology and Technology (LabMET) of Prof. Dr. Ir. Willy Verstraete (Ghent University). The core-business is product development for upgrading microbial processes. Avecom has expertise in research, development and tailor-made solutions for specific problems in microbial waste water treatment and soil remediation. Avecom employs 10 people, of which 6 are specialised environmental engineers, who create a yearly turnover of 1 million €. One third of this turnover is related to soil. Avecom has a broad expertise in biological concepts thanks to a profound collaboration with different universities, institutes and industrial partners.

Avecom offers a wide spectrum of feasibility studies. Besides the feasibility studies, Avecom developed several inocula that can be implemented successfully for environmental problems.

Avecom developed experience in lab-scale and field tests for biological soil sanitation and waste water treatment. Moreover, Avecom is specialised in biological degradation of chlorinated ethenes and 1,2-dichloroethane.



LIFE+ programme of the EUROPEAN UNION

With the support of the LIFE+ programme of the EUROPEAN UNION European Commission, Environment Directorate